Sunday, July 28, 2013

I Love you Friend (unconditionally)

I was alone.
I could hear only the sound of my heavy breathing and of my running footsteps.
The air was still humid but I could feel a slight breeze this evening in Corniche.
It is dark at 8pm but there were many street lights around.
I saw a few people also walking or jogging.


All of a sudden someone tried to grab my arm, and shouted "Hoy! Come here."
Shocked to my bones, I turned, ready to attack if its a vampire.
Looking closely I recognized my old 'previous' friend.
I felt surprised, confused and angry all the same time.
Let's call my friend, 'Juan' (to protect his privacy).

I remember 2 years ago we saw each other in Kish Island.
Juan had asked me tearfully to lend him money. And I helped him.
I know it is difficult to stay in Kish Island, you get drained emotionally and financially.

Now, he pretended not to remember, so I also pretended to forget and continued running.
But to my irritation Juan kept on following me.
"Hoy! where is mommy? (he calls my mother mommy') What is her number, what is your number? etc."
Grrrrr! I wanted to kick him but I patiently ignored him and carried on.

Many years ago when I'm still new in this country, I met Juan in the church and we became friends.
He was good to me (and my mother) and always giving advise.
But many times Juan borrowed money and never return it back.
He also stopped attending church.
I crossed Juan out of my friends list.

People ask for help all the time, and we can help in many ways, there is nothing wrong with that.
But we have to be wise and learn to distinguish between people who needs help and those taking advantage.
A real friend will remain your friend even if you are unable to help him or her.

The bible teaches us to forgive and forget.
This is sometimes too difficult, especially to a person whom you have trusted but have cheated you.

I learned my lesson.
Whenever we help someone, whenever we care for someone, whenever we love someone, do it blindly.
Never expect to receive anything in return, give it all for free.
Like that, or else do not help, do not care or do not love at all.

We make friends by opening our hearts, and we filter good friendships thru the wise guidance of our minds...

I thank the Lord that He blessed me with sincere friends.
Even if they are few yet they are the most caring, the most loving and also the craziest...they are the best.

<photo borrowed from mr. google>

No comments:

Post a Comment