Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview with the Korean Tiger


Together with one of my closest friend, in front of dynamite shrimps and cabbage rolls, we had a chance to talk heart to heart with our smart-funny-young-handsome Korean boss. You know we often refer to our bosses by their 'nicknames' and we sometimes call him 'small tiger' and 'bunso or youngest kid'. Let's take a look inside his heart and mind....


What qualities do you look for in a person at work?
  • the person's character. Most of all- honesty. Knowledge can easily be learned from others, but it is more important to have a good attitude-to try and do your best in the work assigned to you.
What do you like most about the UAE?
  • I am here over 7 yrs. I used to move a lot in UAE but during the last 2 years I spent more time at work and home. Here I had my first desert safari, first shisha, first warm birthday- in korea my birthdays are always freezing because it is during winter, and I experienced to have my first girlfriend (with a big smile).
How do you manage and balance your life and work?
  • 8 to 2 (work = 8: life = 2)
What are your plans in the future?
  • in the next 2-5 years I will be in Korea. I am often alone here, that is enough. Now I want to have more happiness.
Why did you decide to quit smoking?
  • In new years day, I woke up at 5 in the morning, went to the rooftop and as I witnessed the sunrise around 7 AM I made 4 promises- one of that is to quit smoking.

**over coffee...
  • I used to be the same as you, but an older brother (in school) before have advised me that it is not enough only to listen. You have to speak and share yourself also to others and that way you will receive the response you want from people, sharing ideas is a give and take process.
***last words to share
  • A colleague from my previous work have taught me 3 lessons I never forget....1) Take care of yourself. 2) Pay attention to details 3) Cheer for others for their success.
That's it folks. Many life lessons shared from 'the korean tiger'.
We worked together for more than 2 years but we never got the chance to be close enough to talk more deeply and personally perhaps because we feel hesitant to bridge our cultural gap. I love all my Korean managers, I will miss him the most.

>>.~.*.~.<<
“To handle yourself, use your head;
to handle others, use your heart.” 
― Eleanor Roosevelt
>>.~.*.~.<<

No comments:

Post a Comment